In 1988, the then Government introduced Section 28 of the Local Government Act which prevented local authorities from promoting homosexuality or allowing it to be taught in schools as acceptable, as a ‘pretended family relationship’.
Many LGB&T support groups in schools and colleges across the country closed down in fear of breaking the law. Literature supporting gay people was removed. Protests from the community, as well as pro-LGB&T supporters, were wide-scale.
To show support to the LGB&T community in Suffolk, we set up a Gay and Lesbian helpline in the same year, which, in 2010, became the Suffolk LGB&T Network
- Gender diverse children (under 13)
- Gender diverse young people aged 13-18
- Gender diverse young people aged 18-25
- Adult Non Binary
- Trans and gender diverse men
- Trans and gender diverse women
- Variations in Sex Characteristics
- Domestic Violence
- Hate Crime/Justice System
- East of England
- 0808 808 2322